For those who have been eagerly awaiting the second half of the Formulas from the Golden Cabinet with Songs by Chen Xiuyuan, your wait is over. Translated by Eran Even Dr. TCM, R.Ac., volumes IV-VI are commentaries on the formulas which appear in chapters twelve to twenty-three of the Jin Gui Yao Lüe (Essentials from the Golden Cabinet), the famous Han Dynasty formulary and companion volume to the Shang Han Lun (Treatise on Cold Damage) by Zhang Zhongjing.
The majority of the clinical commentaries on important medical classics have never been translated into English and this book further opens the vast goldmine of information available to serious students of Chinese Medicine.
This book contains insights not only by Chen, his children, and grandchildren, but also such notable scholars as You Zaijing, Wang Jinsan, and Xu Lingtai.
The chapters include:
• Formulas for Wind and Cold in the Five Viscera and Accumulations and Gatherings,
• Formulas for Phlegm-Rheum Cough,
• Formulas for Dispersion Thirst, Inhibited Urination, and Strangury Diseases,
• Formulas for Water Qì Diseases,
• Formulas for Jaundice,
• Formulas for Fright Palpitations, Blood Ejection, Nosebleeds, and Descent of Blood,
• Formulas for Retching, Hiccup, and Diarrhea,
• Formulas for Sores, Welling-Abscess, Intestinal Welling Abscess, and Wet and Spreading Sores,
• Formulas for Hobble Dorsum of the Foot, Swelling in the Fingers and Arms, Cramping, Yīn Fox-like Mounting, and Roundworm Diseases,
• Formulas for Diseases in Pregnancy,
• Formulas for Postpartum Diseases, and
• Formulas for Miscellaneous Gynecological Diseases.
As with the first half of this book, the present edition is bilingual in Chinese and English, and includes brief modern monographs for each formula in the appendix.
“Translating texts such as the Jin Gui Fang Ge Kuo is difficult at best, and Eran has done a marvelous job in rendering the original Qing Dynasty Chinese into English. This is an important achievement that deserves wide study.” (From the Foreword by Z’ev Rosenberg)